Hi Friends of Neighborhood Guard.
We have been doing a lot of soul-searching here lately, and Wednesday evening the Interim Board of Neighborhood Guard unanimously decided to turn Neighborhood Guard into a 501(c)3 Non-profit instead of a COOP as originally planned.
Why this change?
- A non-profit is easier to understand when we explain it
- Tax deductible donations (Yeah!)
- Simpler bylaws, less accounting headaches.
- Closer spiritually to our core values of Community, Security and Volunteering.
- We had already agreed to stay out of politics (a requirement for 503(c)3 non-profits)
What does this mean to our members who are setting up Neighborhood Organizations and collecting money ?
- The money collected for a COOP “Buy-In” will now be a donation to a Non-profit instead.
- The Neighborhood Group will now be a member of a non-profit instead of a co-owner in a COOP
Come to next open Board meeting in Neighborhood Guard.
Make your voice heard, help shape Neighborhood Guard. contribute to reducing crime. Show up for the next Board meeting, we need you help.
Next board meeting will be Wednesday March 27, 7:00 pm @ Nama Japanese restaurant upstairs Room,
Address: 3400 Fruitvale Ave. Oakland, CA
Main Agenda Point: Key decisions regarding Non-profit Bylaws and membership requirements.